I know that it's not quite Sunday yet but I just made this delicious soup and boy was I happy with the way it turned out. If you are a big soup and corn fan, you will LOVE this! I altered this recipe ever so slightly but the result is amazing!
Sweet Corn Soup with Italian Cheeses
5-6 ears of corn with kernels cut off the cobs
1 cup diced bacon (uncooked)
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 cloves minced garlic
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup shredded italian cheese mix
1/4 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
1. In soup pot, cook the bacon until crispy. Transfer and let cool on a paper towel lined plate. Set aside.
2. In same pot with the bacon fat, saute onions until soft and transparent. Add garlic and red pepper flakes.
3. Add corn kernels and cook until kernels are softened.
4. Add 7 cups of water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes on medium-low heat.
5. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
6. Add in half of the cooked bacon
6. In small batches, puree the corn mixture then return to pot.
7. Add in the cream and cheeses.
8. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
9. Garnish with more bacon bits and cheese when serving.
*it makes a big batch of soup so freeze some in freezer safe zip-lock bags