What's better than having a playdate with a friend? Making cookies WHILE on a playdate! Skylar brought her friend Katarina (a.k.a Katka) home for a playdate last week and all the girls wanted to do was to make cookies. I happily obliged. We decided to make some simple chocolate cookies - crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Yummy. I like to make my dough with Ghirardelli's sweetened cocoa instead of the usual unsweetened kind. Although it makes it a tad sweeter, it gives it a brownie flavor which is oh-so-yum! But you can do it either way.
Katka and Skylar decorating their cookies
While baby sister Peyton waits patiently (with a bowl of mini M&M's!)
The future pastry chefs at work!
stopping for a hug and a smile
a view of our corkboard art wall
Brrrr - it's cold outside! See the snow on the deck?
Simple Chocolate Cookies
1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 stick butter (softened or room temperature)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup Ghirardelli sweetened cocoa powder OR
unsweetened cocoa powder OR Dutch process cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 cup milk
optional toppings: sugar sprinkles, chocolate chips, mini M&M's
1. In mixer with the paddle attachment, beat sugar and butter until fluffy.
2. Add the egg and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.
4. Add slowly to the sugar/butter mixture until crumbly.
5. Slowly add in the milk until the dough sticks together (you don't have to use ALL the milk)
6. Chill for 15-30 minutes until firm.
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
8. Roll out dough on to floured surface into 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into shapes with cookie cutter and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
9. Add optional toppings.
10. Bake for 10 minutes if you want it a little chewy on the inside. 12-13 minutes if you want it crispy all the way through.